Islam in the modern world : challenged by the West, threatened by fundamentalism, keeping faith with tradition
- Seyyed Hossein Nasr.
- New York : HarperOne, c2010.
- 1st ed.
Where to find it
The foremost U.S. authority on Islam and, Seyyed Hossein Nasr discusses today's hot button issues--including holy wars, women's rights, the rise of Islamic fundamentalism, and the future of Moslems in the Middle East--in this groundbreaking discussion of the fastest-growing religion in the world. One of the great scholars in the modern Islamic intellectual tradition, and the acclaimed author of books such as The Garden of Truth and The Heart of Islam, Nasr brings incomparable insight to this exploration of Muslim issues and realities, delivering a landmark publication promoting cross-cultural awareness and world peace.
- List of Transliterations p. XIII
- Preface to the Revised Edition p. XV
- Preface to the Original Edition p. XVII
- Prologue: What Is Traditional Islam? p. 1
- I Contentious Issues Debated in Islamic Circles Today
- 1 Islam in the Present-Day Islamic World
- An Overview p. 17
- 2 Jihad
- Its Spiritual Significance p. 42
- 3 Islamic Work Ethics p. 50
- 4 The Male and the Female in the Islamic Perspective
- Remembering Certain Basic Principles p. 62
- 5 Traditional Twelve-Imam Shi'ism and the Reality of Shi'ism Today p. 73
- II Traditional Islam and Modernism
- 6 Islamic Spirituality
- Reflections on Conditions Today and Prospects for Tomorrow p. 89
- 7 "Development" in the Contemporary Islamic World p. 119
- III Tensions Between Tradition, Modernism, and "Fundamentalism"
- 8 Islamic Education, Philosophy, and Science
- A Survey in Light of Present-Day Challenges p. 129
- 9 Islamic Philosophers' Views on Education p. 149
- Philosophy and Science
- 10 Teaching Philosophy in Light of the Islamic Educational Ethos p. 165
- 11 Traditional Islamic Science and Western Science
- Common Heritage, Diverse Destinies p. 188
- Art and Architecture
- 12 Islamic Art and Its Spiritual Significance in the Contemporary World p. 205
- 13 The Architectural Transformation of the Urban Environment in the Islamic World p. 227
- 14 The Principles of Islamic Architecture and Urban Design, and Contemporary Urban Problems p. 242
- IV Postscript
- 15 The Islamic World
- Present Tendencies and Future Trends p. 259
- Appendix I The Traditional Texts Used in the Persian Madrasahs and the Question of the Revival of Traditional Islamic Education p. 283
- Appendix II Philosophy in the Present-Day Islamic World p. 298
- Appendix III Western Interpreters of the Islamic Tradition: Academic Scholars p. 323
- A In Commemoration of Louis Massignon: Catholic Scholar, Islamicist, and Mystic p. 325
- B Henry Corbin: The Life and Works of the Occidental Exile in Quest of the Orient of Light p. 343
- Appendix IV Islam and Some of the Major Western Traditionalists p. 361
- A René Guénon and His Influence in the Islamic World p. 362
- B Frithjof Schuon and the Islamic Tradition p. 376
- C With Titus Burckhardt at the Tomb of Muhyi al-Din ibn 'Arabi p. 390
- D Martin Lings and His Islamic Legacy p. 395
- Credits p. 403
- Notes p. 405
- Index p. 455
This item is about
- New York : HarperOne, c2010.
- xxi, 472 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- OCLC Number
- Other Identifiers
- LCCN: 2010040069