The crown, the court and the Casa da Índia : political centralization in Portugal, 1479-1521
- by Susannah Humble Ferreira.
- Leiden : Brill, 2015.
Where to find it
In The Crown, the Court and the Casa da ndia , Susannah Humble Ferreira examines the social and political context that gave rise to the Portuguese Overseas Empire during the reigns of Jo o II (1481-95) and Manuel I (1495-1521). In particular the book elucidates the role of the Portuguese royal household in the political consolidation of Portugal in this period. By looking at the relationship of the Manueline Reforms, the expulsion of the Jews and the creation of the Santa Casa da Misericordia to the political threat brought on by the expansion of Ferdinand of Aragon into the Mediterranean, the author re-evaluates the place of the overseas expansion in the policies of the Portuguese crown.
- Acknowledgements p. ix
- List of Abbreviations p. x
- Names and Currency p. xi
- Introduction p. 1
- 1 Spin Doctors of the Crown: The Chroniclers and Their Contexts p. 17
- Fernao Lopes, (Crónista Mor 1434-54) p. 20
- Gomes Eanes de Zurara, (Crónista Mor 1454-74) p. 22
- Dr. Vasco Fernandes de Lucena, (Crónista Mor 1474-97) p. 26
- Rui de Pina, (Crónista Mor 1497-1522) p. 30
- Duarte Galvão p. 37
- João de Barros and Damiáo de Góis p. 39
- 2 From Royal Household to Royal Court: Patronage as a Political Strategy p. 44
- Political Utility of Large Households p. 45
- Limitation of Household Size p. 46
- 'New Monarch' or King of the Roads? p. 54
- Reorganization and Expansion of the Royal Household p. 58
- 3 Inquiry and Reform p. 69
- Return of the Exiles p. 71
- Expulsion of Jews and Muslims p. 75
- The Manueline Reforms p. 79
- Bureaucratization and Plural Appointments p. 84
- Re-routing the Court: Palaces and Itineraries p. 92
- 4 Alms for the King p. 101
- Controlling the Episcopacy p. 102
- Hospitals and Confraternities p. 108
- The Order of Christ and the Conquest of Morocco (1495-1510) p. 120
- 5 The Crown and Its Castles p. 128
- Castles and Councillors p. 130
- Changes to Warfare at the Turn of the Sixteenth Century p. 140
- North Africa p. 142
- Death of Ferdinand of Aragon p. 147
- Estado da Índia p. 148
- Conclusion p. 157
- Bibliography p. 171
- Index p. 182
This item is about
- The Medieval and Early Modern Iberian World ; volume 60
- Leiden : Brill, 2015.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- viii, 185 pages : color illustration ; 26 cm.
- OCLC Number
- Other Identifiers
- LCCN: 2015012322