The life and visions of Yeshé Tsogyal : the autobiography of the great wisdom queen
- a treasure text discovered by Drimé Kunga ; translated by Chönyi Drolma ; foreword by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse.
- Boulder : Snow Lion, 2017.
- First edition.
Where to find it
This secret life story of Yeshe Tsogyal presents a valuable and unique perspective that is quite a departure from any other account of this remarkable woman. Described as a "secret life story," its many layers include an outer account--detailing her birth, family, and societal constraints--an inner account that begins as she meets and escapes captivity with Guru Rinpoche, and a secret account as she enters twelve years of retreat at Chimpu only to miraculously journey to Oddiyana.The role of women and womanhood is notable throughout her life story. Her desire for independence is at odds with her desirability as a woman, leading to numerous tragic incidents early in life. Finally meeting Guru Rinpoche, she decries her status as a woman. This sort of gendered humility, a recurring theme, is juxtaposed with her assertion that despite being a woman, and low-born ( skye ba dman ), she has a high regard for herself anyway. It is a magical woman who guides her to Oddiyana, and her travels there are filled with primarily female companions. In the end, she remains Guru Rinpoche's primary disciple and doctrinal custodian.Her experiences, while perhaps intense and fantastical, include the same elements of challenge, learning, and progress that all practitioners must experience. During her adventures in Oddiyana, Yeshe Tsogyal receives the same core teachings on faith, impermanence, and fortitude that are essential for anyone following this spiritual path.The story concludes with lists of teachings received and Guru Rinpoche's prophecies for her and other disciples. Among his disciples, Yeshe Tsogyal recounted this life story to Ben-de Sangye Yeshe, who is later reincarnated as Treasure-Revealer Drime Kunga, who revealed this text.
- Foreword p. vii
- Message from the Jnanasukha Foundation p. ix
- Supplication to Yeshé Tsogyal p. xiii
- Reflections on Yeshé Tsogyal p. 1
- Inspirations from Yeshé Tsogyal's Namthar p. 3
- Our Incalculable Debt to Yeshé Tsogyal p. 11
- Yeshé Tsogyal, the Guiding Light p. 17
- Mother of the Victorious Ones p. 19
- In the Company of Angels and Saints p. 27
- Yeshé Tsogyal as Female Exemplar p. 33
- Images of Sacred Places and Objects from Yeshé Tsogyal's Life p. 41
- The Supreme Secret Biography of Yeshé Tsogyal, Chief Dakini p. 57
- Translator's Introduction p. 59
- Chapter Overviews p. 67
- 1 The Birth and Early Life at the Princess p. 73
- 2 The Princess's Voyages to the Land of Oddiyana p. 125
- 3 The Princess Asks Lotus-Born of Oddiyana for Songs of Meditation Instruction p. 151
- 4 The Princess Receives the Scriptures and Transmissions for the Nine Levels of Approach from Lotus-Born of Oddiyana p. 175
- 5 The Princess Helps Others in the Hell Realm p. 179
- 6 The Princess Receives Prophecies p. 187
- 7 How the Princess Spreads the Teachings Far and Wide p. 191
- Colophon p. 195
- Index p. 197
This item is about
- Boulder : Snow Lion, 2017.
- Translted from Tibetan.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- xiv, 205 pages ; 22 cm
- Genre or Form
- OCLC Number
- Other Identifiers
- LCCN: 2016047170