The amorous heart : an unconventional history of love
- Marilyn Yalom.
- �2018 / New York : Basic Books, 2018.
- First edition.
Where to find it
- Call Number
- GT498.H45 Y35 2018
The symmetrical, exuberant heart is everywhere: it gives shape to candy, pendants, the frothy milk on top of a cappuccino, and much else. How can we explain the ubiquity of what might be the most recognizable symbol in the world?
In The Amorous Heart , Marilyn Yalom tracks the heart metaphor and heart iconography across two thousand years, through Christian theology, pagan love poetry, medieval painting, Shakespearean drama, Enlightenment science, and into the present. She argues that the symbol reveals a tension between love as romantic and sexual on the one hand, and as religious and spiritual on the other. Ultimately, the heart symbol is a guide to the astonishing variety of human affections, from the erotic to the chaste and from the unrequited to the conjugal.
- Introduction p. 1
- Chapter 1 The Amorous Heart in Antiquity p. 7
- Chapter 2 Arabic Songs from the Heart p. 19
- Chapter 3 The Heart Icon's First Ancestors p. 25
- Chapter 4 French and German Songs from the Heart p. 33
- Chapter 5 Romances of the Heart p. 43
- Chapter 6 Exchanging Hearts with Jesus p. 59
- Chapter 7 Caritas, or the Italianized Heart p. 69
- Chapter 8 Birth of an Icon p. 83
- Chapter 9 A Separate Burial for the Heart p. 95
- Chapter 10 The Independent Heart p. 105
- Chapter 11 The Return of Cupid p. 113
- Chapter 12 The Reformation and Counter-Reformation p. 125
- Chapter 13 How Shakespeare Probed the Heart's Secrets p. 137
- Chapter 14 Heart and Brain p. 149
- Chapter 15 Exposing the Female Heart p. 159
- Chapter 16 The Heart in Popular Culture p. 171
- Chapter 17 Hearts and Hands p. 179
- Chapter 18 Romanticism, or the Reign of the Heart p. 189
- Chapter 19 Valentines p. 205
- Chapter 20 I ♥ U p. 219
- Acknowledgments p. 229
- Notes p. 231
- Bibliography p. 255
- Index p. 261
This item is about
- New York : Basic Books, 2018.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- viii, 277 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Genre or Form
- OCLC Number
- Other Identifiers
- LCCN: 2017037772
Unspecified Standard Number: 40027880986